What is your favorite sweet?

Sunday, November 13, 2011

It's a non cupcake kinda night.

Tonight I decided to start getting into the Thanksgiving spirit. I got out my flour and made a pie. You see, cupcakes are amazing and make me happy but there is just nothing like a pie.  Pie is what started my love of baking.  A couple years ago I moved back home and got to spend a lot of time with my Gran. She was an amazing cook. No one could make a pie like she could. When I went to Gran and asked her to teach me to make a pie she laughed at me. After asking a time or 6 she got out her flour and was her always patient self while I took notes. She told me stories about her uncle Jeff who had taught her and her twin sister.



Want to know a secret? I don't even like fruit pies. The reason I make them? I hear her words... while I mix the dough with my fingers... when I roll the dough... when I put the pie in the oven and of course when its time to take it out of the oven. It just comforts me in a way that only baking can. So... in the next two weeks there will pies!

Of course, I could not let my taste tester not get some, so I made him a little mini pie :)


2 comments:

  1. You made him a little pie just like she always let us make our own..."somehow" there was always enough dough leftover to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww sweet post Becca...I am not a huge fruit pie person either ;)

    ReplyDelete